Conversation With a Kingsnake and Baby Logger Turtle


I recently had the opportunity to speak with a baby Logger turtle (in a swimming tank) and a Scarlet Kingsnake who were in captivity at an animal rescue center in Florida.

Kingsnake Conversation

My friend, Kelly, noted that the snake was coming closer to the glass to look at us and wanted to know what he was thinking.


Me: Are you curious about us?


Snake: No, I'm protective of us (there was another snake in the glass encasement).


Me: Are you ever interested in us humans?

Snake: It is always from a defensive stance of self-protection. Some worry is always involved around what humans might do to me and to my companion.


Me: Do you know that we won't hurt you?


Snake: I get that you are saying that but I'm still cautious.

The snake then retreated to where his companion was lying on a little tree.

Turtle Conversation



Me: How are you feeling in there?


Turtle: Bored


Me: Does anything relieve the bordem-people looking at you, etc?



Turtle: It's a minor distraction for a moment and them I'm bored again.


Me: Is it better that you are being taken care of here then out where for some reason you could not be?


Turtle: I don't really care. I would have been OK with not being placed in here. I don't think about it that way ( the possibility of future events and death). If I weren't alive, it would be OK, too.


*It still sometimes floors me how 'in the moment" the animals are. Their humility in regard to their own existence is ever so humbling.